The headquarters of the International Aikido Federation
Adopted: May 10, 1980.
Revised: December 1, 1988.
Revised: October 1, 2000.
Chapter 1 : General Principle
- Article 1 : Aim
- 1. The Aikikai Foundation – Aikido World Headquarters, in order to spread Aikido in countries throughout the world and to have a system which works smoothly, hereby lays down International Regulations.
- 2. The Aikikai Foundation Aikido World Headquarters shall be referred to hereinafter as the Hombu.
Chapter 2 : Recognition by the Hombu of Aikido Organizations in a given country
- Article 2 : Hombu Recognition
- 1. The Hombu will give Hombu Recognition to an Aikido organization which it judges to have satisfied the following conditions. If more than one Aikido organization exist in a country due to national law and/or rules or any other reason the Hombu admits as appropriate, Hombu Recognition can be given to those organizations.
- (1) The relevant Aikido organization has been established legally and has had more than five years of substantial Aikido activity since it’s establishment. It is not a single dojo of an individual person.
- (2) The relevant Aikido organization has more than one affiliated dojo open to the public, and holds activities throughout the year.
- (3) The head of management or the chief of Aikido instruction of the relevant Aikido organization (hereinafter referred to as the Person in Charge) is 4th dan or above. The Person in Charge is a permanent resident of the country of that organization.
- (4) The relevant Aikido organization has more than one holder of 2nd dan of Aikido or above, who will assist the Person in Charge in establishing the committees for instructing and dan/kyu grading examination.
- (5) The relevant Aikido organization has established Headquarters, Regulations and Directing Committee.
- (6) Issuing of Hombu Recognition to the relevant Aikido organization will not cause any confusion or problem in the organization’s country.
- 2. An Aikido organization which has been given Hombu Recognition will represent its country in international Aikido activities. If more than one Aikido organization with Hombu Recognition exist in a country, those Aikido organizations should, if necessary, coordinate and cooperate with each other for domestic and international Aikido activities as appropriate in an amiable and timely manner based on the Aikido spirit established by the Founder of Aikido.
- 3. An Aikido organization which has been given Hombu Recognition may be eligible to perform the following activities. The extent of possible activities depends on the dan rank of the Person In Charge.
- (1) Issuing of kyu grades (See Article 14)
- (2) Examination of dan grades (See Article 9.1)
- (3) Application for the registration of dan grades (See Article 8)
- (4) Application for the examination of dan grades ( See Article 9.1)
- (5) Application for the recommendation of dan grades (See Article 9.2)
- (6) Certification of instructors (See Article 17)
- (7) Receiving assistance from the Hombu
- (8) Joint activities with the Hombu concerning Aikido
- 4. With respect to an Aikido organization which has not been given Hombu Recognition in accordance with Article 2.1 because it does not satisfy the conditions for Hombu Recognition, the Hombu will, if it deems necessary, give instruction to enable it to fulfill the conditions for Hombu Recognition, and assistance in developing the organization. Furthermore, matters concerning dan grades, are subject to the provisions of Article 6.1. In this case, “Hombu Recognition” is to be read as “subject to the provision of Article 2.4, and examination for dan and kyu grades will be conducted by the Hombu or a person delegated by the Hombu.
- Article 3 : Issuance of Certificates
- To an Aikido organization which has been given Hombu Recognition, a Certificate of Hombu Recognition will be issued through established procedure.
- Article 4 : Matters to observe
- 1. An Aikido organization which has been given Hombu Recognition must adhere to the following principles.
- (1) An Aikido organization which has been given Hombu Recognition must respect and follow the spirit of Aikido established by the Founder, Morihei Ueshiba, and basic principles concerning the dissemination of Aikido established by the Hombu.
- (2) Dan grades are legitimated by Aikido Doshu. An Aikido organization which has been given Hombu Recognition must hold in esteem the Aikido dan grades legitimated by the Doshu. The members of that organization must obtain dan grades to be legitimated by Doshu and registered at the Hombu regardless of a situation in which national dan grades are issued by the country or government due to the national legislation or some other reason.
- (3) An Aikido organization which has been given Hombu Recognition shall establish a teaching system and examination structure for dan and kyu grades, such as an Instructing Committee and a Dan/Kyu Examination Committee.
- (4) An Aikido organization which has been given Hombu Recognition must keep close contact with and cooperate with the Hombu and also with the instructor(s) dispatched by the Hombu staying in its country. Also it shall coordinate and cooperate with the Hombu regarding the acceptance of instructor(s) to be dispatched by the Hombu for a short period.
- (5) An Aikido organization which has been given Hombu Recognition shall keep contact, coordinate and cooperate, as appropriate, with other Aikido organization(s) in its country to promote friendly relations. Also it is recommended that a type of umbrella organization for those Aikido organizations should be established.
- (6) An Aikido organization which has been given Hombu Recognition shall abide by the provisions of this Regulation in addition to the items mentioned above.
- 2. An Aikido organization which has been given Hombu Recognition must submit to Hombu a written agreement mentioning (1) through (6) of the Article 4.1 above.
- Article 5 : Cancelation of Hombu Recognition
- In a case where an Aikido organization with Hombu Recognition violates the provisions of these Regulations and creates serious obstacles for the dissemination of Aikido by the Hombu, the Hombu will, both verbally and in writing, urge the adherence to the provisions of these Regulations. If the organization does not demonstrate to do so, Hombu Recognition may be cancelled. The qualifications of the Aikido organization (Chapter 4) will cease to exist.
Chapter 3 : Dan Grades and Kyu Grades
- Article 6 : Dan Grades
- 1. Dan grades are awarded to Aikido practitioners who belong to Aikido organizations with Hombu Recognition in accordance with their general ability and achievements or accomplishment.
- 2. Dan grades are from 1st dan to 8th dan.
- Article 7 : Legitimation
- Dan grades are legitimated by Aikido Doshu.
- Article 8 : Application and Registration
- 1. Dan grades must, in all cases, be applied to the Hombu.
- 2. Dan grades become valid after they have been registered at the Hombu.
- Article 9 : Qualification for Conducting Examination and making Recommendation
- 1. An Aikido organization with Hombu Recognition, when its Person in Charge is 6th dan or above, may conduct examinations from 1st dan to 4th dan. When the Person in Charge is 4th dan or 5th dan, it may conduct examinations from 1st dan to 3rd dan. In the case of a 4th dan examination, an application to the Hombu must be made, and the examination will be conducted by the Hombu or a person delegated by the Hombu.
- 2. With respect to 5th dan and 6th dan, decisions will be made by the Hombu. However, if the Person in Charge of an Aikido organization with the Hombu Recognition is 6th dan, an application for recommendation up to 5th dan can be made to the Hombu . If Person in Charge is 7th dan, application for recommendation up to 6th dan can be made.
- 3. Discussions relating to 7th dan or above are settled separately.
- Article 10 : Method of Examination
- The method of dan grade examination is based on the Examination Regulations of the Hombu. However, some changes are to be allowed if there is a reason for them.
- Article 11 : Admission to the Hombu
- All practitioners of Aikido must become members of the Hombu at the time of the registration of the 1st dan grade or earlier.
- Article 12 : Dan Grades Certificates
- 1. Yudansha grade certificates are issued when a application for registration is made through the established procedure.
2. Dan grades certificates are written in Japanese.
- Article 13 : Dan Grades Certificates
- 1. Yudansha must possess an International Yudansha Book issued by the Hombu.
2. International Yudansha Book is sent together with the dan grade certificate.
- Article 14 : Kyu Grades
- With respect to kyu grades, an Aikido organization with Hombu Recognition may conduct examinations and can issue kyu grade certificates.
Chapter 4 : Qualifications of Instructors
- Article 15 : Qualifications of Instructors
- 1. With respect to an Aikido organization with Hombu Recognition, the qualifications for instructors are as follows:
- (1) Shihan
- (2) Shidoin
- (3) Fukushidoin
- 2. The titles for instructors’ qualification are expressed in Japanese terminology.
- Article 16 : Shihan
- 1. The Hombu examines and appoints Shihan from among persons who are 6th Dan or above, and who are proficient in practice and instructing.
- 2. To the appointed person, a Certificate of Appointment is awarded by the Hombu.
- Article 17 : Shidoin and Fukushidoin
- 1. An Aikido organization with Hombu Recognition is to have a system for qualifying Shidoin and Fukushidoin.
- (1) Shidoin are persons of 4th dan or above
- (2) Fukushidoin are persons of 2nd dan or 3rd dan
- 2. An Aikido organization with Hombu Recognition can issue a Certificate of Appointment to those whom it has appointed Shidoin and Fukushidoin.
- 3. An Aikido organization with Hombu Recognition must report to the Hombu the name and dan grade of those whom it has appointed Shidoin and Fukushidoin.
Chapter 5 : Supplementary Rules
- Article 18 : Instruction Committee, Dan/Kyu Examination Committee
- An Aikido organization with Hombu Recognition must inform the Hombu of the establishment of Instructing Committee and Dan/Kyu Examination Committee, in accordance with Article 4.1.(3).
- Article 19 : Dan Grading Examination
- If an Aikido organization with Hombu Recognition conducts dan examinations in accordance with Article 9.1, and problems arise for some reason, it is to receive instruction from the Hombu.
- Additional Rules
- 1. The status of Aikido organizations which were regarded as if they were Aikido organizations with Hombu Recognition before these Regulations were amended will not be affected.
- 2. These regulations will be in effect from the date of amendment, October 1st, 2000.